Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Time for the Little Things

Here we are in the midst of the holiday season when everything is bustling around us.  Normally I enjoy the gift buying, baking, cards and other holiday traditions.  But this year has been different.  Like so many families who have kids with disabilities, mental health issues, special healthcare needs, or some combination of all of the above, we've had some complications the last several weeks. One of my kiddos has been having an especially difficult time.


So, this Mama has been completely off kilter.  Frankly I have found it difficult to find joy in the typical holiday traditions.  Sometimes the traditions just seem so small when you have a child who is struggling.  And yet, I have been trudging through most of them, determined to keep every ball in the air.  I know that Christmas will be here on December 25th, ready or not.


Last weekend, we finally found a time to decorate our Christmas tree.  The tree has been a tradition for us with each of our boys having a large box of collected ornaments that they hang.  Now that our children are older, they seemed less enthusiastic about this event than in the past --- but now that I think about it, perhaps that was a reflection of my own melancholy.  


Just before the decorating was complete, Logan found our Peanuts holiday puzzle.  Immediately, he wanted to put the puzzle together reminding me that we always do puzzles at Christmas.  Every part of me wanted to finish the decorating and move on to the next chore that needed completed before the end of the night.  But, Logan, who is always determined, definitely had other ideas.


Before I knew it, we were camped out in the dining room sorting border pieces and generally having a great time.  And that's when it hit me ---  a reminder that this time of year isn't about the gifts, the baking, the wrapping.  It's the moments we spend together with those we love.


The challenges at our house didn't magically disappear while working on this puzzle.  There weren't any movie moments like fluffy white snow beginning to fall outside.  But this Mama listened to a gentle reminder from my 12 year old boy.  This week I'll be taking the time for the little things that matter --- the rest will take care of itself.

1 comment:

  1. Love how kiddos have that way of pointing out what matters without even knowing it! I call Miss Add my little life coach for that very reason!

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics